My First Geocaching Trip

I went geocaching with my math teacher and some fellow classmates a few months ago. We were looking for a cache, and we walked quite a while. I don't like going down near-verticle hills, so my friends were helping meget down. We were stopping all over to read the GPS units, because they were telling us to go in all sorts of directions. Hey, welcome to the world of geocaching. I do enjoy geocaching, but it can be quite an adventure!

Edited by cpanek

Welcome I hope you have many more exciting adventures! I've been caching about a month now and one thing I have learned about the GPS is you have to be patient, sometimes you have to wait a while for the GPS to settle down. Stick with it and be have some fun! :)

Edited to correct spelling error

Edited by Team Red Oak

I just got back from my first Geocaching experience, without finding the cache, but with quite a story!

We ended up spending way too much time looking for the treasure and actually got lost on the mountain when it got dark! We thought we could hike out before the sun set but weren't even close. Along the way we ended up losing the trail in the darkness and our GPSr lost it's signal because the canopy was so thick. We escaped by walking towards some light we saw off in the distance through the trees which ended up being a clearing where we could regain our GPS signal (and our sanity!). The rest of the way back we walked straight through the woods in the direction of the car (thank goodness we made the car a waypoint!), which is not something I would recommend - walking around the woods without a trail in the dark!

We finally made it back to the car around 8:00 after discovering a road about 1/2 mile from the car and following it out. Needless to say we didn't find the cache, but we sure found some adventure!