What the hell is a newbie?

Criminal

Here’s a question:

At what point does a “newbie” become a real geocacher? Is it when heshe has a certain number of finds? A number of months in the game? Becomes enlightened about the environment? Buys that helper monkey?

Jimmy Witherspoon asks:

“They said I was uneducated, my clothes were worn and torn.

But now I got a little education and they keep on calling me a boy right along.

Please tell me, how long will be before I become a man?

Will it be real soon, or will it be when I get 93?”

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

You'll know when you aren't one!

I am new to the sport, but don't consider myself a full-fledged newbie since I'm familiar with the computer end of it and I've used GPSrs for years to locate things in the woods from old (early 1900s) maps, mainly foundations and such. Harder to find a jug under a stump though than a 40 foot foundation - I am a newbie when it comes to that part.

My point exactly! HA! You see, it's that condescending down-your-nose attitude that I was referring to. “Oh my, So-and-so has only six finds and one placement, heshe is a lowlife newbie. Lets all ridicule himher! See how it makes us feel important and superior!” It is that very attitude that spoils every sport.

I love geocaching, I’d love to do it every day and if you ask me why I’ll say…..

My point with this question is the way some people are judging other cachers by how many finds they have. I’ve been geocaching since the summer of 2000. I’ve been using navigational systems for over 15 years on USAF C-141Bs in almost every country of the world. I guess I’ll be a “newbie” for at least as long as I’m in the Air Force. So be it.

Criminal - sounds like you got defensive when no one said YOU were a newbie. The "you" most of the people wrote with above seemed to be directed at the literary "you" not the literal "you."

The only message that I interpreted as condiscending to any degree was Syn's, but even then, I realized Syn wasn't trying to belittle you, Criminal, just showing a frustration of people coming in and asking the same questions over and over without reading the FAQ's official or unofficial. Personally, I almost never look at a person's stats from the forums. I never feel the need. The exception is if they come off as high and mighty and with a "my way or the highway" attitude.

I think this is actually one of the nicest groups toward "newbies" that I've seen. Most other message groups I've been a part of dismiss you right from the beginning without even looking at anything with your profile. This groups seems earnestly interested in helping people out for the most part.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

My point exactly! HA! You see, it's that condescending down-your-nose attitude that I was referring to. “Oh my, So-and-so has only six finds and one placement, heshe is a lowlife newbie. Lets all ridicule himher! See how it makes us feel important and superior!” It is that very attitude that spoils every sport.

I love geocaching, I’d love to do it every day and if you ask me why I’ll say…..

My point with this question is the way some people are judging other cachers by how many finds they have. I’ve been geocaching since the summer of 2000. I’ve been using navigational systems for over 15 years on USAF C-141Bs in almost every country of the world. I guess I’ll be a “newbie” for at least as long as I’m in the Air Force. So be it.

That's the EXACT sort of innane, ridiculous, immature, boring, unenlightened, neanderthalish, NEWBIE type of response that I'd expect from a 8/2 like you! (hehe!!) icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

(You know I'm being feciesous, I hope. You are one of the FEW in these forums on my "SWEET" list...)

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:

That's the EXACT sort of innane, ridiculous, immature, boring, unenlightened, neanderthalish, NEWBIE type of response that I'd expect from a 8/2 like you! (hehe!!) icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

(You know I'm being feciesous, I hope. You are one of the FEW in these forums on my "SWEET" list...)

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

IMHO, a newbie becomes a "real" geocacher when they no longer make the majority of "newbie mistakes".

A newbie is a cacher that makes a lot of mistakes and it gets them frustrated about what they're doing wrong. A veteran cacher makes the same mistake - we just don't care any more!

Ever notice everybody is willing to give THEIR 2 cents worth but only offer a penny for YOUR thoughts?

No, I wasn’t offended in the least. I don’t care if anybody wants to call me a “newbie” or not. (I’ve been called worse in other threads) It’s not about if the question was asked already either. I had been noticing in other threads the condescending way some people regard others. It’s a freaking game right? The way a few cachers refer to those “newbies” you’d think there was some kind of extra appendage to grow before you could place your first cache.

My bad, I had hoped it would be a lot more light-hearted than it is. Thanks majicman, I think we understand…..

quote:
Originally posted by pater47:

Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

IMHO, a newbie becomes a "real" geocacher when they no longer make the majority of "newbie mistakes".

A newbie is a cacher that makes a lot of mistakes and it gets them frustrated about what they're doing wrong. A veteran cacher makes the same mistake - we just don't care any more!

Ever notice everybody is willing to give THEIR 2 cents worth but only offer a penny for YOUR thoughts?

Hi ya'll Pepper here and pater47 I must agree with you 100%. Criminal I have a question for ya, and remember no question is stupid. What is a helper monkey?

Team SuperGenius

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

quote:
It’s a freaking game right?
I don't even consider it a game. Or a sport. It's a hobby like collecting stamps as far as I'm concerned. We don't train for this "sport" and there isn't a winner or loser.

Maybe if some of the people participating would realize that then numbers wouldn't be so important.

Now I've gotta get out there and beat someone to a virgin cache or I"d stay and chat awhile. icon_wink.gif

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

quote:
It’s a freaking game right?
I don't even consider it a game. Or a sport. It's a hobby like collecting stamps as far as I'm concerned. We don't train for this "sport" and there isn't a winner or loser.

Maybe if some of the people participating would realize that then numbers wouldn't be so important.

Now I've gotta get out there and beat someone to a virgin cache or I"d stay and chat awhile. icon_wink.gif

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

I've got 100+ finds and Im probably not a newbie anymore. But I'm perfectly capable of asking questions that have been asked before and a few that people wonder why I even bothered to ask. Like this in a recent thread "Just what in the heck do you need a compas for?".

I'm a newbie at hacking my GPS and a newbie at off-roading (having just split a tire and dented a gas tank for no good reason since a good off-roadwer wouldnt' have).

I'm a newbie at using the routing function of my GPS, and after 100 finds I'm still learning ways and places to hide caches.

You are no longer a newbie when newbies start going to YOU for advice. It doesn't mean that you don't have lots to learn though.

I will for ever be a newbie.. With just a few caches in the whole country..

I have to wait for caches to be placed.. I'm jalous of you cachers that have many caches in the area..]

1 thing that might change a few find numbers for me is my friend that i'm introducing to Geocaching.. He is exited.. Hope he can place some caches this year..

Greatings From Thailand..

Irresisti

N12º 55.475

E100º 52.865

quote:
Originally posted by pater47:

That sounds about right to me. I've been doing the drunken bee dance for over a year now and I still feel like a newbie sometimes. From time to time, I'll make the same silly mistakes in the field. The only difference is that now this results in a 'listen to how stupid I was...' story, rather than frustration.

Newbies are welcome! I don't even mind that some questions are rehashed over and over. Although, 'Which GPSr is best for me?' gets kind of old.

It's obstinate, ignorant people that bug me.

quote:
Originally posted by Syn:

When you dont ask questions that have already been asked before.

When you go and do a search and get your answers via the archives, then you are no longer a newbie.

That would define a forum Newbie. A Geocaching Newbie is a different animal.

quote:

Here’s a question:

At what point does a “newbie” become a real geocacher?

Rather than thinking "newbie v. real geocacher" think "newbie geocacher vs. experienced geocacher."

If you want an indication based on the forums, when you start recognizing newbie questions as such, and can answer them...correctly...you're no longer a newbie.

Of course you can't actually wear the gold stripe below your medallion until you've had 6 months time-in-rate as a newbie.

Lazyboy, I am impressed with that definition. Hobby is definitely a better description.

A bit of history is in order. When I was a young troop fresh from C-141B Flight Engineer school, I noticed that some of the more experienced FE’s looked upon us with open disdain. We were subjected to ridicule instead of useful instruction. No big deal with a hobby, but it can be very unnerving when a “mistake” could result in you being part of a smoking hole in the earth. When I became an Instructor FE I insisted on instructing, not asking pointless trivia questions or sending a young troop out to get a bucket of propwash or a spool of flightline.

I have a real problem with people who want to classify or label other people. If someone’s power comes from referring to other players as “newbies” as a way of looking down on them (instead of it’s real meaning) then my OPINION is that they need to lighten up. It may have helped if I’d just responded to the offending threads as they occurred instead of starting a new one.

BTW, a helper monkey is just what it sounds like. A monkey that is trained to assist the handicapped. In an episode of the Simpsons, Homer gets one for himself and ends up corrupting the poor animal. That opened the door for non-handicapped people everywhere to own a monkey to do menial chores. I keep one in my pack (another thread) to “trash out” for me, among other things. I leave the discipline of said monkey to the wife though. I mean after all, isn’t that one of the reasons we get married?

quote:

Here’s a question:

At what point does a “newbie” become a real geocacher? Is it when heshe has a certain number of finds? A number of months in the game? Becomes enlightened about the environment? Buys that helper monkey?

You'll know...trust us!

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"When your learning to take, the path at your pace...

Every road is worth your while"

quote:

Here’s a question:

At what point does a “newbie” become a real geocacher?

Quite simple, Most of us are only allowed a certain ration of time to spend geocaching (by our significant others.)

So, when your RASH is fully enflamed and your passion is for backpack stashin'; and you will even ignore fashion to go geo-dashin' and git your ration of cachin'; while hashin' thru stickers and mashin' through waist-high Johnson Grass that has your blood gashin'; and you go home drained and still dream of dancing McToys so shiny and flashin' with a passion...

my son, then you is really a cachin'!

--majicman