Referring back to the original problem that began this topic (and not to the deviations that should have been separate topics), here are the results of my testing of page navigation links on a My Visits list that was 5 pages long:
1) Clicking on a page number within square brackets always works correctly. But unlike similar navigation systems on other Websites, the current page number appears to be a live link (which it isn't) instead of plain text.
2) From page 1, all items outside the left bracket do nothing, which is correct (though they continue to look like links, which is incorrect).
3) From any page after the first, "prev" goes to page 1, which is wrong unless you were at page 2.
4) From any page after the first, the single and double left arrows go to the first page, as they should.
5) From the last page, all items outside the right bracket do nothing, which is correct (though they continue to look like links, which is incorrect).
6) From any page except the last, "next" goes to page 2, which is wrong unless you were at page 1.
7) From any page except the last, the single and double right arrows go to the last page, as they should.
These results apply to both the page navigation links at the top of a list and those at the bottom of a list, and they explain why one correspondent thought it impossible to get to the third page ("next" doesn't work from the second page).
Whether these results apply to other kinds of lists, or to lists longer than 10 pages (hinted by an earlier reply in this thread), I do not know. But this information should be sufficiently diagnostic to enable a competent programmer to fix the problem quickly.