Speaking from my own perspective, there are several factors at work:
- The general economy. I have to watch my discretional spending a lot more carefully these days.
- The cost of geocoins. I know I'll sound like an oldster here, but it seems like I remember being able to purchase coins for well under $10 each a while back. I know that most of today's coins are worlds fancier than they used to be, but unfortunately the cost for each has grown considerably.
- The cost of shipping. Even for those coins that aren't too expensive each, paying $2-3 shipping for a coin often moves it out of my price range.
- Sellouts. Some of the coins I have been able to budget have sold out within minutes, or went on sale at times when I can't be near my computer to even try to get. I know that it's a difficult issue, though - what's the right balance point between keeping the value up by selling limited editions, vs. selling more common issues, but perhaps lowering demand...
- The cost of making coins. I would very much love to have my own personal coins made, but there's no way in the world I can possibly front the $1k-2k it would take to have them made, even if I was sure I could sell a bunch of them. I have had pathtags made, though, because I can usually scrape up $100 for a batch.